Was thinking of a friends memorial service I will speak at next week.
Jesus' words started me 'chewing' on that.
Matthew 5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn
for they will be comforted."
- Why are they Blessed?
- What will comfort them?
- Is is OK to mourn?
Some of the answers came right away.
- Yes, mourning is OK.... it is part of this 'side of heaven'
and that is the reason for the 'comfort'.
- They will be comforted because of the Hope stored up for them in Heaven. Jesus' words in Matthew 5:12, 6:33-34 speak of the comfort of knowing God's supply this 'side of Heaven'
with even more on 'the other side'....
The word means abundance of happiness....
So much favour (from God)
that others would envy them....
Happy are those that are sad.... Really?
how does that work....?
In the midst of grief and pain
(which is one of the 'normals' of life)
I will always have the foundation of
what is in the future....
- it is a season (this too will end)
- it is 'undergirded' with the knowledge of God's goodness and that He loves me more than I can know
- Right now I can only see the 'back side of the 'tapestry of life'
(with it's knots and strings and 'messiness')
but a day is coming when I will see the picture as God does...
and Jesus says that this brings
Happiness...... in the midst of Grief
1 Thessalonians 4:13
Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant
about those who fall asleep (die),
or to grieve like the rest of men,
who have no hope.
14 We believe that Jesus died
and rose again
and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus
those who have fallen asleep in him.
when I mourn.
Thank You for Your promise
and Your Kindness
and Your Comfort.
Thank You that the story doesn't end at
for Your mercies are new
Great is Your Faithfulness.